CAN I BOOK MY OWN HOTEL & TRANSPORTATION?
- Yes, however for the absolute best rates available Spartan has partnered with Iceland Travel to bring you exclusive travel packages. Booking via Spartan & Iceland Travel means you’ll save the time and hassle trying to arrange your own accommodation, and you’re sure to get the best quality and value for your money.
- Due to the event’s remote location and to ensure the race starts on time, competitors and support crew will be required to purchase an official event shuttle bus ticket to/from the event location. Buses will be departing from Reykjavik on Saturday. The cost of the ticket is $89. Tickets will be available for purchase online to all registered competitors shortly – please stand by to receive more information about the shuttle bus.
CAN ANYONE PRE-REGISTER? I HEARD I NEED AN INVITE.
- Anyone anywhere is able to sign up. We held an exclusive pre-registration period until September 1st, and that period has now expired. There are 300 spots remaining at the time of writing, and the event is confirmed as going ahead. Sign up now.
CAN I COMPETE AS A TEAM?
- Yes. Teams of 4 will be allowed to run laps, with any number of team members able to be on the course at the same time. Each team member’s total number of laps completed by the end of the race will contribute to the team’s final cumulative total – to officially finish a team must complete 6 laps in total. There will be a special team category medal and awards.
- Please register as an individual first, and you’ll be able to nominate your 3 team members and choose a team name shortly. Spartan will email all competitors to ask who wants to race as a team.
THIS LOOKS EXPENSIVE. HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME ALL UP?
- It’s much cheaper than you think. Airfares from the US, for example, are very reasonable (our agents report 6-8 weeks out being the sweet spot for booking). If you bring your own food and share the cheapest accommodation package with another person, you’re looking at around $1075 all-in for the Ultra and $674 for the Sprint. This includes air travel, accommodation, shuttle bus, and entry. We think that’s not much for changing your life forever.
IS THERE AN ELITE CATEGORY?
- Yes – there will be both an Elite and Open category with matching bibs. Elite category competitors will be eligible for prize money and this group is limited to 100. Spartan will email all registered competitors and ask those who wish to be eligible for Elite to apply shortly.
BESIDES, THE ULTRA IS THERE A SPRINT?
- Yes, the Ultra World Championship weekend has something for everyone. The Sprint is one 5 mile lap of the same incredible course, and Sprint competitors will have access to the indoor festival area as well. Sprint competitors may also sign up to be a support crew person for an Ultra competitor at no extra cost. Sign up for the Sprint here.
I ALREADY REGISTERED FOR THE ULTRA. CAN I DO THE AGOGE?
- Yes. If you have already registered and paid for the Ultra, you can add on the Agoge for no extra cost. Please contact email@example.com and let our friendly support team know. If you haven’t registered for the Ultra yet and wish to do the Agoge, click here.
WHEN WILL THE EVENT BE CONFIRMED?
- The Iceland Ultra World Championship event weekend is now confirmed and will go ahead beginning with Agoge Iceland on December 14th. The Ultra will finish on Sunday, December 17th.
HOW MANY LAPS DO I NEED TO DO TO FINISH?
- In order to get an Ultra finisher’s medal and officially finish the race, you must complete 6 laps (approx 30mi / 48km).
- If you’re competing as a team, each team must complete a minimum of 6 laps in total. Team members may contribute any number of laps to their team’s cumulative total, as long as the team completes 6 by the time the race is over.
HOW MANY OBSTACLES WILL THERE BE PER LOOP?
Expect 20+, as well as many natural obstacles such as single track, scree slopes, and thermal river crossings.
WILL THERE BE BURPEE PENALTIES FOR FAILING AN OBSTACLE?
- Yes. All the regular Spartan rules apply, including 30 burpee penalties for failed attempts and disqualifications for failing to complete mandatory obstacles, such as Bucket Brigade and Barbed Wire Crawl.
CAN I BRING A SUPPORT CREW?
- Yes. Each competitor is allowed 1 crew member to assist them in the TA (transition area). This person will be able to register as a crew member shortly when Spartan contacts all registered competitors to nominate their support crews. There is no cost for crew members, however, they will be required to purchase a return bus fare to/from the event for $89. The crew will be given a special bib to grant them access to the indoor heated TA (transition area).
WILL IT BE COLD?
- Iceland in winter isn’t as cold as it sounds. Temperatures compared to the American northeast, for example, are relatively mild. You can expect December averages from -1°C to +4°C (30 to 39°F). Be prepared though for high winds, rain, sun, fog, darkness, thermal river crossings, stray Vikings and lots more.
IS THERE A MANDATORY GEAR LIST?
- Yes. You can download it here. All competitors must bring the mandatory items on the gear list, and all items on this list must be carried by competitors at all times while on the course. You will be given space for a drop box of equipment, food, and other items. See the gear list for more details.
WHAT KIND OF SHOES SHOULD I WEAR?
- We recommend bringing several pairs, including one pair with an aggressive tread pattern suitable for slippery and muddy conditions. Use of spikes, cleats or shoe chains is not permitted.
HOW CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- Please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know you’re interested in volunteering for Iceland. One of our friendly team members will be in touch. Iceland promises to be an experience that is just as special for volunteers. Thanks for your support!
I HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS.
- Feel free to post your questions on the official Iceland Event page on Facebook or use the Live Chat feature on the bottom right side of this website and we’ll answer you as quickly as possible.